Day 1 - Fattie Fast
With only 6 hours of sleep, I woke up easily after a mere 7 snoozes and was clear-headed enough to remember my resolution from the night before. The first thing I did after getting out of bed was turn on the coffee maker and get roasting. As I have the wherewithal to remember to do this approximately 2% of the time, my competency felt like a sign. It was really happening. I was starting a ketogenic diet in the most traumatic way possible: a fat fast.
Bulletproof coffee was easier to prepare than I had expected -- 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a mug of coffee -- but my immersion blender and fingers were left with a nasty waxy residue that doesn't react to water. I was more than apprehensive, but the coffee actually tasted pretty good with that fatty coconut shot, albeit very oily. After a few sips, I noticed that the stuff was really irritating my throat, making me cough. Am I allergic to coconut? Tomorrow I'll have to try this with butter, or heavy cream.
I was surprised at how much satiety the coffee provided, as I wasn't hungry, sluggish, or tired at all during the morning. I did, however, have the distinct pleasure of poop log rocketing from my rectum on a slip and slide coconut oil luge. Does it really take only two hours for that stuff to make it through the whole digestive process? It seems unlikely, but so did that dump.
Rachel had made some salted pumpkin seeds from our office carving session last week, and I was delighted when I looked up the macros and found I could indeed have a taste. Maybe 1/4 or 1/3rd of a cup was all I took, and I was glad her desk was too far away for me to nosh further.
I started to feel hungry, though mercifully and surprisingly not in that weak, shaky, I-must-eat-right-now-or-I-will-literally-collapse-and-die way that I often get, around 3PM. I opened up my avocado, sprinkled some salt on it, and ate the whole thing. The texture left something to be desired and I was still a little hungry afterward, but it helped.
I left work at 5:30 to be at physical therapy by 6. Normally at this time I am in a panic state about dinner: What will I have? How long will it take to make it? Will I survive the hours between then and now? I'm not sure whether it was the fatty food consumption or merely having resigned myself to a "fast", but I had no such desperation tonight, and went to PT feeling like I could eat, or I could wait.
Jamil asked if I wanted to go out to dinner, and of course, because I'm starting a diet requiring a very delicate balance of macronutrients and fasting portions, I said -- yeah sure. We hit up one of the regulars, Sakura, and looked at the menu in a whole new light. I got the kani salad (crab, mayo, and cucumbers) and two pieces of sashimi (white tuna and smoked salmon). It was exciting to see how much of the menu I actually could enjoy, and how much more I would be able to have even when I advance into regular keto. I downed my green tea and seafood with gusto.
1,100 calories
Bulletproof coffee was easier to prepare than I had expected -- 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a mug of coffee -- but my immersion blender and fingers were left with a nasty waxy residue that doesn't react to water. I was more than apprehensive, but the coffee actually tasted pretty good with that fatty coconut shot, albeit very oily. After a few sips, I noticed that the stuff was really irritating my throat, making me cough. Am I allergic to coconut? Tomorrow I'll have to try this with butter, or heavy cream.
I was surprised at how much satiety the coffee provided, as I wasn't hungry, sluggish, or tired at all during the morning. I did, however, have the distinct pleasure of poop log rocketing from my rectum on a slip and slide coconut oil luge. Does it really take only two hours for that stuff to make it through the whole digestive process? It seems unlikely, but so did that dump.
Rachel had made some salted pumpkin seeds from our office carving session last week, and I was delighted when I looked up the macros and found I could indeed have a taste. Maybe 1/4 or 1/3rd of a cup was all I took, and I was glad her desk was too far away for me to nosh further.
I started to feel hungry, though mercifully and surprisingly not in that weak, shaky, I-must-eat-right-now-or-I-will-literally-collapse-and-die way that I often get, around 3PM. I opened up my avocado, sprinkled some salt on it, and ate the whole thing. The texture left something to be desired and I was still a little hungry afterward, but it helped.
I left work at 5:30 to be at physical therapy by 6. Normally at this time I am in a panic state about dinner: What will I have? How long will it take to make it? Will I survive the hours between then and now? I'm not sure whether it was the fatty food consumption or merely having resigned myself to a "fast", but I had no such desperation tonight, and went to PT feeling like I could eat, or I could wait.
Jamil asked if I wanted to go out to dinner, and of course, because I'm starting a diet requiring a very delicate balance of macronutrients and fasting portions, I said -- yeah sure. We hit up one of the regulars, Sakura, and looked at the menu in a whole new light. I got the kani salad (crab, mayo, and cucumbers) and two pieces of sashimi (white tuna and smoked salmon). It was exciting to see how much of the menu I actually could enjoy, and how much more I would be able to have even when I advance into regular keto. I downed my green tea and seafood with gusto.
1,100 calories
82% fat / 85%
15% protein / 15%
3% carbs / 0%
3% carbs / 0%
💩

Comments
Post a Comment