Day 3 - Chili Cures Chills
Today I believe I was acquainted with the dreaded 'keto flu', every dieters nightmare. I woke up feeling hungover, with a splitting headache, shivering goosebumps, and aggressive nausea that drove me out of bed and to the bowl within 10 minutes of snoozing. The momentum of my bathroom rush sent my glasses flying into the toilet, but I was thankfully able to rescue them before the floodgates opened. The barf stung, mostly liquid bile, but I felt better afterward and hoped that was the end of that. I took a quick trip back to Hannaford to get the only dehydration go-to I could find with no carbs or sugar: Powerade Zero. I slid back into bed as quickly as I could and cracked the purple flavor.
Within minutes I was over the bowl again, purple liquid gushing from my throat and nose. I started to really freak out. Could I deal with this without Saltines? Again, my parents in their wealth of experience assuaged my fears, describing their keto flu side effects and assuring me that it wouldn't last, at least at this intensity. I set my bluetooth radio and purple Powerade outside the shower and sat under running water until the worst of the nausea had past.
It goes without saying that I couldn't stomach a bulletproof coffee this morning. The thought of coconut oil, or those nasty-ass truffles from last night, literally made me gag. But by 2PM (after 5 hours of reading about keto, watching YouTube videos, and intermittent napping) my stomach was feeling ready to accept food. Craving greens and whole foods more than I have since our family trip to Peru, I put together some ingredients that weren't quite fat fast qualified, but still keto friendly and not illness inducing. The result was a spinach salad based on a meal I make quite often, but with the proportions of ingredients altered to support my macros: spinach, grape tomatoes, and walnuts, drowned in oil and some balsamic vinegar, topped with shaved parmesan. It was just what I needed.
After attempting to read my ARE textbook and falling asleep again, I felt well enough to get some meal prep done. For the next few days, I prepared 4 salmon foil packets and the beginnings of a gorgonzola, mushroom, and bacon quiche before realizing I didn't have eggs, a baking dish, additional spinach, or heavy cream (the meal prep guide I'm starting out with is Free Keto Meal Plan from GaugeGirl Training). Later Jamil did make an egg delivery, so I substituted almond milk and zucchini and made the recipe in a baking pan that had a bit of a lip. It came out more like an egg pizza than a quiche, but hey, it's still covered in bacon and cheese.
Still tired, suffering from a headache, and frugal as always, I chose to break from my keto pledge slightly to polish off a chili I made for the office competition last week. It was delicious, but it really trashed my macros. I didn't have the patience or memory to log every ingredient, but between a jar of tomato sauce, black beans, and pinto beans, MyFitnessPal estimates that I had 29g of carbs today. I hope I haven't wasted all of the suffering of the fat fast just to knock my)self out of ketosis before I've entered.
My fingers are crossed for a more comfortable and more successful day tomorrow. With my food for the day already prepared, I'm feeling hopeful.
Within minutes I was over the bowl again, purple liquid gushing from my throat and nose. I started to really freak out. Could I deal with this without Saltines? Again, my parents in their wealth of experience assuaged my fears, describing their keto flu side effects and assuring me that it wouldn't last, at least at this intensity. I set my bluetooth radio and purple Powerade outside the shower and sat under running water until the worst of the nausea had past.
It goes without saying that I couldn't stomach a bulletproof coffee this morning. The thought of coconut oil, or those nasty-ass truffles from last night, literally made me gag. But by 2PM (after 5 hours of reading about keto, watching YouTube videos, and intermittent napping) my stomach was feeling ready to accept food. Craving greens and whole foods more than I have since our family trip to Peru, I put together some ingredients that weren't quite fat fast qualified, but still keto friendly and not illness inducing. The result was a spinach salad based on a meal I make quite often, but with the proportions of ingredients altered to support my macros: spinach, grape tomatoes, and walnuts, drowned in oil and some balsamic vinegar, topped with shaved parmesan. It was just what I needed.
After attempting to read my ARE textbook and falling asleep again, I felt well enough to get some meal prep done. For the next few days, I prepared 4 salmon foil packets and the beginnings of a gorgonzola, mushroom, and bacon quiche before realizing I didn't have eggs, a baking dish, additional spinach, or heavy cream (the meal prep guide I'm starting out with is Free Keto Meal Plan from GaugeGirl Training). Later Jamil did make an egg delivery, so I substituted almond milk and zucchini and made the recipe in a baking pan that had a bit of a lip. It came out more like an egg pizza than a quiche, but hey, it's still covered in bacon and cheese.
Still tired, suffering from a headache, and frugal as always, I chose to break from my keto pledge slightly to polish off a chili I made for the office competition last week. It was delicious, but it really trashed my macros. I didn't have the patience or memory to log every ingredient, but between a jar of tomato sauce, black beans, and pinto beans, MyFitnessPal estimates that I had 29g of carbs today. I hope I haven't wasted all of the suffering of the fat fast just to knock my)self out of ketosis before I've entered.
My fingers are crossed for a more comfortable and more successful day tomorrow. With my food for the day already prepared, I'm feeling hopeful.
1,027 calories
69% fat / 85%
18% protein / 15%
13% carbs / 0%
Great Resources Discovered While Out Sick:
- KetoConnect Macro Calculator - I used this tool to discover that even when I'm finished with the fat fast, someone my size looking to lose weight can only afford 20g of carbs per day. Their site is in general very casual and relatable, full of meal prep and grocery haul videos.
- CavemanKeto Configuring MyFitnessPal - An incredible extension that configures the web version of MyFitnessPal to automatically track net carbs rather than carbs in general, reporting accurate macros automatically and for each meal.

Comments
Post a Comment