Day 8 - No Some Regrets

I messed up yesterday.  Big time.  And the crazy thing is, I didn't even know I had until I logged everything into my tracker this afternoon.  I knew I was going to have to be agile, and probably forgive myself a bit, because I was having lunch at Gram's and could never say no to her.  But I had failed before I even made it to Red Hook.

Thinking I'd treat myself for getting a lot of the things I've been putting off for weeks (or months) going this weekend, I stopped at Starbucks on my way out of Clifton Park to get a nice creamy latte.  It's thick and slightly sweet from all of the delicious milk piled in there, enough of the coffee flavor emerging but without any bitterness.  As the drive wore on, I started finding myself a little nauseous, but finished off the grande anyway.  I had paid over $4 for this drink, and I needed my morning fat.

What do you know?  That wily beverage somehow had 18g of carbs crammed into it, along with 17g of sugar.  Does plain old milk really have so much more carbohydrate content than heavy cream?  How are they not the same thing, just one less fatty than the other?  Or was there waaaay too much of whatever milk-spectrum mix-in they fed me?  And the sugar . . . 17g may be more sugar than I'd had all week up until this point.

I've done some research and found an insider resource sharing the scoop on keto-friendly Starbucks beverages.  Still, it might be a good idea to check out what can be had at Dunkin instead.  It's cheaper.

Gram's was mercifully full of low-carb, high-fat choices, and she was completely understanding of my dietary restrictions from her experience(s) with Atkins.  Though she assured me I didn't need to lose a pound, she didn't blink an eye as I filled my plate with coldcuts, swiss cheese, pickle slices, and coleslaw and ignored the fluffy Kaiser rolls beside them.  It was a strange to eat my sandwich fixin's that way but still very tasty, and Bill noted that the rolls were a bit stale anyway.  I was a little disappointed in this meal too, though, upon logging; coleslaw seems to have a lot more carbs than I thought, coming in at 10 net carbs for 3/4 of a cup, and only 2 grams of fat.  I know that fermented foods are supposed to have incredible health benefits, but apparently contributing to proper macros at in a ketogenic diet is not one of them.

Gram coerced me into having a serving of Stewarts' chocolate chip ice cream comparable to the mini scoop shopkeepers give you on a baby spoon when you want to try a new flavor (I'm exaggerating; it was probably three times the size of that, but still just a sliver).  It looked ridiculous in the bowl, but I made it last 6 tiny spoonfuls.  I love the chunks in ice cream, when you have a mouthful of creamy sweet coldness and suddenly you've added a new delicious flavor and texture into the mix.  It was divine, and I wanted a mug full, but I abstained.  Gram even had the restraint to wait until after dinner.

When I left around 5:30, Gram had the foresight to pack me up some chili for dinner, since I'd be hungry by the time I got home.  Thinking that I was reasonably on track for the day and not wanting to start cooking after 7, I accepted gratefully.  However, I didn't make it home without first stopping at CVS and buying them out of pistachio products (marked down from $9.50 to $3.50?) for Poppop. I couldn't resist, and though pistachios have too many carbs, I got a pistachio-almond blend that waters them down to an acceptable leve.  At home, I ate all of Gram's chili with a liberal serving of cheddar on top.  I didn't bother to pick out the beans, and likely added another 14 carbs onto my total.

MyFitnessPal tells me that I really made an oopsie today with bold red negative values for every metric I've exceeded.  126 too many calories, 41 too many net carbs, even an extra gram of protein.  But thankfully, I woke up this morning with the dank breath that tells me I'm still in ketosis.  Perhaps my adherence up until now has bought me a bit of wiggle room, or maybe my logging was incorrect (without packages to look at, I had to log everything generically) and I didn't do as badly as I thought.  Still, I hopped right back on the wagon again today, and hardly looked thrice at the chocolate chip bundt cake with caramel drizzle that Lisamarie prepared for us this weekend.

Tomorrow will be my first weigh-in since starting keto (since I had to be to work too early this morning to take the fraction-of-a-second reading).  I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but 120 would be amazing to see.  Still, anything under 124 will mark definite progress, and in any case, I can feel the difference.

Sunday, Nov 5:
1,326 calories
59% fat / 68%
23% protein / 24%
18% carbs / 8%

Today:
1,069 calories
69% fat / 68%
24% protein / 24%

7% carbs / 8%

Comments

Popular Posts