Day 9 - Feelin' Fine

Last night I felt it.  The flip of a switch in my brain -- and I was calm again.  I couldn't explain what it feels like to have this happen.  There's no sensation to speak of, no associated emotion, no physical manifestation.  It's just an awareness.  You perk up, like you heard something . . . but you didn't.  You just became aware, in an instant, as your body decides to let you know that it's decided to close the floodgates on the panic hormones.  And just like that, I'm able to sit still and breathe smoothly.  My racing thoughts are quelled.  Everything is just suddenly easier.

And so far, it's lasted.  I woke up this morning feeling great, fully awake, fresh, and excited for the workday.  Is this mood from the ketosis, the new birth control, or just less stress as I finally pierce through some deadlines at work?  Is it just a natural shift?  In any case, I'm not complaining. 

I do, however, have some things to say about the accompanying mouthstink.  I thought I had keto breath before, but now it feels like my saliva is an acid pool decaying my teeth and gums.  And it's not just the morning either.  Even right after I've eaten, no matter how much I drink, I have this rotten heat on my tongue.  Is this a sign that the ketosis is more intense now?  Does it really last the whole time that a person burns fat for fuel?  I am genuinely worried about the state of my enamel.

Okay, I looked it up:
"Restricted carbohydrate intake also may have a negative effect on the oral cavity. It encourages the breakdown of fat stored for energy instead of glucose, a process known as ketosis or dietary ketosis. The breakdown of fats results in three different molecules called ketones, two of which (acetoacetate and ß-hydroxybutyrate) can be used for energy by most body tissues. The third ketone, acetone, cannot be used by the body and is excreted in the urine and exhaled by the lungs, causing halitosis." -How Low-Carb Diets Impact Oral Health

So it sounds like it isn't dangerous, just revolting and offensive to others.  I guess I won't be getting too near to anyone until after the holidays.

I scheduled an exam for November 20th, very soon, and should be studying at least 2 hours a night until the big day.  My diet typically deteriorates when I cram, but I've been doing very well, and with a break in PT, have more free time than I did during the last study period.  I have enough stew, quiche, and spinach feta wraps made to last me through the workweek, so it really will just be a matter of self control.  What wins out: the effortlessness of a microwave meal, or that fatigued impulse to just treat yo'self?

Comments

Popular Posts